COVID-19 vaccines are being administered to 2 million Nigerians.
.The National Primary Healthcare Development Agency announced in Abuja on Thursday that more than two million Nigerians have gotten the first dosage of the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
As of Thursday, its Executive Director, Dr Faisal Shuaib, said that 2,099,568 persons had received their first doses of the vaccine, while 1,005,234 had received their second doses. He stated that the agency had extended the deadline for administering second doses of the vaccine from June 25 to July 5. He added that the decision to extend the schedule was made due to the obvious constraints of recipients’ diverse economic and social activities.
Shuaib encouraged people who received the first dosage by May 13 to go to the nearest vaccination station as soon as possible to receive the second dose for full protection. He stated that the administration of initial dosages is still ongoing and urged Nigerians take advantage of the chance.
He cautioned that even after receiving the second dosage, users should continue to follow the COVID-19 safety measures because full vaccination does not permit for exemption. “It is critical for everyone, including those who have gotten their second doses, to continue to wear face masks and follow other non-pharmaceutical precautions to limit the spread of the virus,” he said. Shuaib observed that after more than three million vaccines, only 13,267 people reported mild to moderate adverse effects, while 4,708 experienced moderate to severe side effects. “The cases of mild, moderate, and severe reactions that have been observed are to be expected with standard immunization, and patients People who were exposed to any of these have subsequently recovered and are doing fine. “As a result, we should not let the fear of side effects deter us from getting vaccinated, because the long-term advantages much outweigh the danger of momentary side effects. “It is crucial to emphasize that Nigeria has not recorded a single case of mortality directly related to COVID-19 vaccination,” Shuaib stated.
Dr Walter Kazadi, WHO representative in Nigeria, who was present at the news briefing, stated that the threat of a third wave of COVID-19 was genuine and was on the rise in some African countries. “It’s actually more dangerous than ever, not because of unvaccinated people, but because of the lack of vaccines.” unvaccinated, but as a result of people failing to follow safety protocols “It’s because people don’t safeguard themselves. People are not avoiding congested areas. People are not taking protective precautions such as social separation or using face masks when necessary,” he stated. Kadazi urged Nigerians to take preventive measures in addition to vaccination, noting that inequitable access to vaccinations had acted as a catalyst for the virus to mutate, eroding the small achievements gained in some areas. He added that rapid scale-up of vaccine production and improvements in supply channels were critical, as 77% of all vaccines delivered globally since February had been administered in the United States. February was completed in seven different countries. Dr Peter Hawkins, UNICEF’s representative in Nigeria, emphasized in his message at the briefing that several nations have begun the COVID-19 immunization for children. Dr Gupta Gagan, a UNICEF representative, offered his message.